An Iron Age chieftain's grave good
In 1851, a farmer named Ferdinand Pfeffer was plowing a field near the village of Stretweg when he struck numerous fragments of bronze and iron. The discovery prompted an excavation, revealing the remains of a princely tomb from the Hallstatt culture, dating to around 600 BCE. Inside this cremation grave, alongside iron weapons, jewelry, and bronze vessels, lay the pieces of an extraordinary object: a miniature bronze wagon crowded with figures.
The assembled wagon is a scene made of tin bronze. Its base is a square, open-work platform measuring 42 cm in length and 32.5 cm in width, mounted on four eight-spoked wheels. Dominating the scene is a central female figure, standing 32 cm tall. She wears a belt and earrings and holds a large, flat bowl above her head, supported by an X-shaped frame. Surrounding her is a procession of smaller figures: warriors on horseback, foot soldiers holding shields and spears, two female attendants, and two men leading stags by their prominent antlers. The entire bronze tableau stands approximately 33 cm high (without the bowl) and depicts what is widely interpreted as a ritual sacrifice or a sacred procession.
A scene of sacrifice and ceremony
The meaning of the tableau is ongoing study. The central figure is often identified as a goddess or her priestess, and the bowl she holds may have been intended for a libation—a ritual pouring of liquid. The armed escort and the presence of stags, which held symbolic importance in European mythology, reinforce the scene's ceremonial nature. The wagon itself was not a toy, but a high-status grave good, buried with a cremated chieftain to accompany him into the afterlife.
This type of object, known as a cult wagon, appears in other prehistoric European contexts, but the Stretweg example is elaborate. Its discovery shows that deities or important ritual items in Iron Age Europe were sometimes transported on wheels for public ceremonies. After its discovery, the wagon was acquired by the Universalmuseum Joanneum in 1853. It underwent a comprehensive scientific restoration between 2006 and 2009 to address previous, less accurate reconstructions and preserve the authentic 7th-century BCE components. Today, it is the centerpiece of the archaeology collection at Schloss Eggenberg in Graz.